Tuition is available from experienced tutors in:
- Scottish pipe band drumming
- Highland and Irish dancing
- No musical experience required
We charge no Tuition fees, however there are small annual and weekly fees to cover costs of venue hire
See Membership and fee information
Where and When?
Wednesday Evenings ACT School terms
Dancing from 5:30
Drums and Pipes 6.30pm
Band from 7.30pm
Venue: Church Hall on the corner next to the Canberra Irish Club in Weston
- A syllabus will be created and/or updated for piping and drumming.
- Each learner will be assigned one tutor who will provide minimum 10-15 minutes one to one tutoring per evening. Group work will also be available. Other arrangements will be made prior to band practice if a tutor cannot attend. Learners must inform the tutor, Pipe Major or Drum Sergeant if not attending.
- Lessons for learners will be conducted between 6:00 & 7:30.
- Tutors will be appointed by the Pipe Major and Drum Sergeant
- Each learner will bring an exercise book to be signed by the tutor.
- Learners will be expected to practice and attend 80% of all band practices each term.
- Each learner (or parents) will be advised of progress at the end of each term.
- From this term, learners will pay hall fees upfront for the full term - $30 youth, $40 adult
- Sticks, pads and practice chanters will be available for purchase (at no profit to the band) from the Pipe Major and Drum Sergeant
- Pipe Major, Drum Sergeant and Drum Major will assess each learner for ability to turn out with the band in uniform. This will be based on attendance, commitment to practice and skill.
- Pipe Major and Drum Sergeant will assess each players ability to turn out for competition.
- Standards will be advised in relation to piping and drumming before the assessment of learners. Generally this will be 4/4 & 3/4 sets.
- All learners should be aged 10 or over. Children under 10 may be assessed for learning but Pipe Band Dance school students will take preference.
- A child protection policy will be in place.
The Band is using an App as link for routine communications rather than this website - go to your APP store - search for TeamApp and install - then search for CCPBand - apply to join - select which teams you want to join - can access via website
What is on soon......
No Band Practice this Wednesday 30th May from 5.00pm for learners / dancers; Band 6.30 pm
AGM Canberra Celtic Pipe Band
Approx 8.00pm Wednesday 8th August
Canberra Pipers Club Workshop & Recital 10th annual 2018
Friday 21st ? 4pm to 4pm Sunday 23rd September – University of Canberra; recital Saturday night 22nd - details to follow see facebook
Boorowa Irish Woolfest Sunday September 30th 2018
SHORT sleeve shirts; Pipers 10.00am for tuning for 10:50am street performance then Lead parade at 12:00 + dancers; Stage performance - 1:40pm - short sleeves- ties
Canberra Celtic Dancing Competition
September 9th 2018
ACT Solo Piping and Drumming Championships Sunday October 2018
Illawarra Scottish Fair Band Contest Sunday October21
The Dandaloo Sporting Field, 336 Kanahooka Road, Dapto
Be there Pipers around TBC am for Pipers tuning and drummers soon after to play at TBC then massed bands at 4.00pm
Young Cherry Festival - December 1st Saturday
The tattoo and parade is on Saturday - Pipers for 3.15pm tuning, Street March 4.00 pm , Tattoo starts 5.30pm -. Dress is sun cream, short sleeves, ties, hats. http://www.visityoung.com.au
The New Kilted Van is rolling
Our Band Facebook Page
There is also a unlisted private Band Facebook page - please ask for invite to access
The Piobaireachd Society
Become a member to access downloads
Try Our Haggis Recipe
Exact proportions up to the cook - if in doubt add more Drambuie to recipe or your glass
Band practice is 98.7dB; recommended to reduce exposure to below 85dB - wear your hearing protectors!
The College of Piping
Monthly Radio show Podcast
Irish anthem played by the Army Band of Amhrán na bhFiann
Please use Youtube link https://youtu.be/e6JtBbgYMwY or access from Bands Facebook page or dropbox - the exercises are in pdf link - please ask if unable to access